Find a Home in Plainfield, IL
Plainfield is a town located in Will and Kendall counties, about 34 miles from the center of Chicago, and includes land in Plainfield, Wheatland, Na-Au-Say and Oswego townships. The town was originally named "Walkers' Grove", which was established in 1828, making it the oldest community in Will County. Approximately 40,000 people live in a 24 square mile area that is bordered by the DuPage River. With it's flat landscape, Plainfield is a very walk-able town, including the historic downtown which is pedestrian focused and features many historical landmarks of Greek Revival architecture, as well as Upright and Wing cottages.
Find Your Home: Let Zumbly Pick The Perfect Home!
What Makes It Great
Plainfield is ranked as one the best places in Illinois to raise a family, due in part to good schools, low crime rate, lower cost of living, strong sense of community, child friendly parks, and it's sparse suburban feel. Although it's a smaller town, there's still something for every interest! Go bird watching at the nature preserve, do some shopping at one of the many unique shops in historic downtown, golf, go fishing at Plainfield Fishing resort, take a tour of Tailwinds Distilling company, or participate in an event at The Wondering Dragon Game Shoppe. Find out more at Village of Plainfield
- Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve - 839 acre preserve with walking trails
- Settlers' Park - 20 acre park located in historical downtown
- Naperbrook Golf Course - "Links-style" scenic golf course
- Main Street Museum - Local historical museum
- Double Action Dive Charters - Dive tours of historic wrecks in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron
- Hometown Irish Parade - March - St Patrick's Day parade
- Cruise Nights - June-August - Themed, vintage vehicle cruise through downtown held every Tuesday during the Summer
- Plainfield Fest - July - Town carnival with games, rides, food and music
- Brews and BBQ - August - Beer and Food festival
- Plainfield Harvest 5k - September - 5k run/walk for local charities
Plainfield features the best of all seasons. The summers are long, warm, humid, and wet. Winters are cold and windy, often with freezing temperatures. The average temperature is 17 degrees - 84 degrees.